Best Place to Buy a Rug: What Should You Look For in a Rug Store?
There’s certainly no shortage of rugs, rug stores, or places to buy rugs online. With so many options, the ball is kind of in your court when choosing the best rug store. So what should you look for when looking for a place to buy a rug? That’s what we’ll cover here, including:
- Customer Service
- Who Else Chose This Place to Buy a Rug?
- A Variety of Designs
- What to Look For in the Best Place to Buy Rugs Online
- Securely Buying Rugs Online
- Customer-Friendly Rug Website
- How easy is it to Reach a Person?
- Policy Pages
- High-Resolution Photos
- Purchase Guides
- Above and Beyond: The Value of a Rug Blog
- Narrowing the Search: Using Filters When Shopping Online for Rugs
- Rewards Programs for Buying Rugs
- How Much Will the Best Places to Buy Rugs Charge
- Discount Rugs Online
- Find the Best Rug Store Near Me
The best rug merchants are there to guide you. There are so many shapes, sizes, and styles to choose from that it can get a little overwhelming. Also, some rugs may look great in the store or online but won’t match your home’s design quite as you thought.
Also, not all rugs will perform as intended. For example, satin rugs may look beautiful, but they’re not recommended for high-traffic areas. Unfortunately, not everyone knows that - especially when buying rugs online. Small things like this are often overlooked until it’s too late. You don’t know what you don’t know, and the best rug merchants should anticipate that.
This is why top-notch customer service is so important. It’s also why rug merchants should take time to understand your needs before making any recommendations. If you’re visiting a rug store, employees should be ready and willing to help guide you in your decision.
- Expert Guidance: employees should carefully consider your home’s style and unique needs before recommending a rug.
- No pressure: there’s a reason we’re emphasizing guidance: you should never feel pressured into making a purchase.
Who Else Chose This Place to Buy a Rug?
Online reviews offer insights that were never possible before. You can glean a first-hand impression of a rug store (or any other place) from the experience of others in your area. And hey, all kinds of people leave reviews, so you can easily consider several different viewpoints before making a choice.
A Variety of Designs
It’s not enough to have a large selection of rugs; the best place to buy a rug will also feature a variety of designs. We all have a different senses of style, and not every room calls for the same designs. Plus, some rooms have unique needs (think kitchens and bathrooms).
So, if you’re browsing for rugs online, see which styles and collectionsthey have available. When shopping by style, the first page will usually give you an idea of that collection’s overall theme. Browse a few styles, then narrow it down to the right rug. If you aren’t finding many styles or rug selections, it’s probably time to move on.
What to Look For in the Best Place to Buy Rugs Online
The Internet is the world’s largest marketplace. While there are plenty of online retailers selling rugs, not all of them are the same. Here, we'll provide a quick guide to finding value and staying safe online.
Securely Buying Rugs Online
If you’re shopping for rugs online, one thing matters more than pretty much anything else: security. Never purchase a rug from a website that isn’t secure, even if you fully trust the merchant.
Websites that are not secure are easy (and popular) targets for hackers. Your payment information will be vulnerable. On the other hand, secure websites use all sorts of technology and encryption to keep your information protected; suffice it to say, they’re safe to use.
Thankfully, it’s easy to tell if a website is secure. Most browsers, both on computers and smartphones, include a small lock icon next to the URL that shows whether a website is secure. If a website isn’t secure, it’ll usually show a slash over the lock icon. It may also just say “secure” or “not secure” in place of the icon.
You can also check the URL itself. If it starts with HTTPS, it’s secure. If it starts with HTTP, it’s not. You might have to click or tap the domain name to see this, but it will appear at the very beginning of the URL.
How easy is it to Reach a Person?
Have you ever noticed how hard it is to get an actual person these days? Customer service has kind of taken a back seat in the digital age. The best online rug merchants work hard to avoid this. They should always be accessible on your terms. The ones who aren’t are probably more of a hassle than they’re worth.
If you’re shopping online, the website should offer multiple opportunities to contact an actual person. For example, our website features our store’s phone number prominently at the top of every page. We also have our email address and a form on our contact page. We even included a chat widget that allows visitors to reach us in real-time.
What should you expect when working with a rug merchant? This is even more important when buying rugs online. The shippingand return policiesare crucial and should be easy to find. So should warranty information and when those warranties may or may not apply.
Speaking of shipping, consider both whether it’s free and how fast your rug should arrive. Most rug vendors (us included) have found ways to offer free, fast shipping without sticking it to the customer.
Review pages are also helpful. They offer insights into what other customers have said directly to the merchant. They also offer opinions on the same rugs that you’re browsing - all on one website.
When buying rugs online, there are things you just can’t do. You can’t feel the rug’s texture, inspect its stitching, or flip it over. That’s why high-resolution photos are vital.
When browsing for rugs online, see if their pictures show rugs both up close and from a distance. Also, look for a few different angles and whether any of them show the underside. And, definitely check for pictures that show the texture and edge up close.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and the right pictures can really help you get a feel for the rug you’re buying. They also eliminate the chances of unexpected (and unwanted) surprises when your rug arrives.
Like we said earlier, you don’t know what you don’t know. That’s why our website features several guides to help you make the right decision. This should be standard, but some of the lower-tier merchants overlook it. Our guides can help you find the right sizeand colors for your home’s unique style.
Sometimes, you just need to consider a few different rugs before making a choice. This is especially true when buying rugs for a unique style or as a gift. You may also want to fit the cost of a particular rug in your budget.
This is why wish lists are so helpful. You can save rugs that really stuck out right now and finish your purchase later. You can also (hint, hint) share your wish list with others just before your birthday.
Here’s a quick look at our top rug-buying guides:
- Learn about Vintage Rugs:rugs are timeless. The styles that captivated generations ago continue that trend today.
- Determine Oriental Rug Value:are you getting the most bang for your buck? We can help you decide.
- The Ultimate Rug Sizing Guide:you may have determined how much floor space you have for a rug, but is it proportional to the rest of your room and its decor? This guide will help you find out.
- Shop Rooms:Each room is unique. Our website allows visitors to shop for rugs online based on whichever room they are decorating. We even have rugs for the kitchen!
Above and Beyond: The Value of a Rug Blog
If these basics are covered, how can the best places to buy rugs go above and beyond? By providing news and insights on the latest trends, designs, and innovations. Blogs are a great way to send this information.
As you’ve probably noticed, our website features blog posts (you’re reading one right now!). We use our blog to offer unique insights on designs, trends, and the best rugs for unique situations. The information we provide is valuable even if you aren’t currently looking for a rug. This should be a staple of top merchants.
Narrowing the Search: Using Filters When Shopping Online for Rugs
Sometimes, you already know exactly what you want. When that happens, you shouldn’t have to browse endless pages of rugs HOPING to find what you’re looking for. That’s where filters come in.
Take our catalog for example. You’ll notice several filters that allow you to narrow your search by several different rug attributes. Simply click or tap each one to see the options available, and use them to narrow your search to the perfect rug. Our filters set a nice standard to look for and include:
- Category: Here, you’ll find several collectionshand-picked to match a variety of styles, preferences, occasions, and uses.
- Stock: Sometimes, rugs temporarily sell out. Use this filter to narrow your search to the rugs we have available today.
- Collection: Rugs are rich in history and cultures that span across the world. Our collections organize rugs by the traditions that brought their designs to life.
- Size: Easily one of the most important aspects of a rug, and one that’s often misunderstood. When considering size, don’t just look at the space in your room. Also, consider how proportional it is to your decor and furniture.
- Colors: Also one of the most important aspects of a rug. Our colors feature solid and mixtures.
- Origins: Another clue to the rug’s tradition. We organize the origins of our rugs by country and region.
- Price: Everyone has a set budget, and this filter shows every rug that fits yours.
- Item Type: Use this to filter vintage and modern rugs.
- Pattern: Rug designs are defined by patterns, and this filter helps you narrow down the ones with your preferred styles.
- Age: Some rugs are designed to last for generations. Choose oldor newwith this filter.
- Rug type: True aficionados will appreciate the ability to choose from a variety of rug types.
- Style: From modernto farmhouse, there are more than enough rugs to fit any style.
- Shape: Not all rugs are rectangular, and not all spaces benefit most from a rectangular rug. Choose from a variety of shapeswith this filter.
- Material: The materials used to craft your rug offer surprising clues. For example, some materials are only used in handmade rugs, and some offer water resistance.
- Pile height: choose the density of your rug.
- Construction technique: Some rugs are crafted by hand, while others are made by machine. There are many ways to weave rugs by hand, and you’ll find them all under this filter.
To summarize, here are a few important things to remember when considering the best place to buy rugs online:
- Secure website: never enter personal information on websites that are not secure. Your browser will tell you whether or not it’s secure.
- Multiple ways to contact: the website should make it easy to call, email, or chat with an actual person.
- Policy pages: shipping terms, return policies, and other expectations should be covered on the website.
- High-resolution pictures: Since you can’t physically inspect a rug online, the website should do this for you by including several high-quality images taken from different angles.
- Guides: as we said earlier, rugs that look great in the store or online won’t always look great in your home. The best places to buy rugs online should offer guides to help you make the right decision.
- Blogs: It’s very easy to add blog posts to websites. They provide a wealth of information and can offer new perspectives for visitors to consider. So, the best places to buy rugs online should offer a helpful blog section.
Rewards Programs for Buying Rugs
Get more value from your purchase!The best places to buy rugs from will show their appreciation for your loyalty with rewards. For us, this includes 10 redeemable points for every $100 you spend, plus bonuses during holidays.
How Much Will the Best Places to Buy Rugs Charge?
While they should offer great deals, the best rug merchants won’t always have the lowest prices. This is actually a good thing. Higher-end rugs offer better styles and last longer. They also tend to be more unique and continue the legacy of the roots (such as authentic oriental and Persian rugs).
Instead, what you’re really looking for is the best value. Some rugs may cost more, but will they also last longer? Will they complement your home’s style the way no other rug can? Sometimes, the best rug is worth a little more upfront so that it can pay off in the long run.
Discount Rugs Online
Hey, like we said, you should still be able to find great deals from top rug merchants. Sometimes, inventories sell a little slower. When that happens, it’s great news for you! Most rug merchants will offer discount rugs online if their inventory isn’t selling very well. Our own website has a “Clearance” page for this very reason.
This can be a great way to save money on a new, quality rug. Rug styles are timeless, so you won’t have to worry about the latest trends or your discount rug’s design becoming outdated. You’ll have just saved quite a bit (many of ours are 70% off) before it sells out completely.
Find the Best Rug Store Near Me
Earlier, we mentioned the value of online reviews. There are many review platforms to find them, including:
- Google Maps
- Angie’s List
- Better Business Bureau
Take some time to check the reviews on each platform and determine which ones are most helpful to you. We all have unique needs, so search for reviews that seem to speak to yours.
Here are a few things to consider when browsing reviews:
- Rug prices
- The quality of the rugs sold
- Customer service
- Store setup and cleanliness
Fortunately, if you live in Charlotte, this decision is an easy one: Magic Rugs!We take great strides to be the best place to buy a rug locally and online. But don’t just take our word for it: our customers have left raving reviews across all platforms mentioned above. So, feel free to browse our websiteor visit our showroom!
Yes, you could say that this guide just follows the practices that we already use. That’s true, but there’s a reason for it. We truly care about our customers and we’ve listened closely to their feedback over the years.
That’s why we’ve built a top-notch experience for our customers but online and in-store. This commitment is what’s made us the best place to buy a rug online and in Charlotte.